Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Fam-Damily

Can I just say how much I love my family? I went back home to Utah for Christmas and got to spend some quality (certainly not quantity) time with my family. I don't think i laugh harder than when I am with those extremely odd people, and yet at the same time, I can talk to them about just about anything, no matter how personal.

It was especially nice to get to spend time with my sister Carrie. She's been living outside of Utah for the last several years and so we haven't had a lot of time to hang out. This year her family and I all stayed at my parents house giving us the opportunity to not only share space again, but also long conversations, laughs, and germs (most everyone in that household was sick during the holidays). I love you Care-Bear; it was good to get to see you again.

I don't know why it sometimes surprises me that I love being with my family so much. Maybe it's because all you seem to see in media are families of the dysfunctional variety. It's almost as if hatred and angst are now expected to be the byproducts of family living. Have we become so self-centered and individually isolated as a society that the thought of people actually knowing us inside out is viewed as a threat rather than a comfort.

Well, I for one, am grateful for a group of people that are just as strange as I am and seem to understand who I am and how I think, and yet still seem to think I'm worth talking to. I love you guys and look forward to the next time we can have an impromptu game night and laugh into the wee hours of the morning.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I must say I think this was one of our best times together in a while. You are the greatest! We do have an extraordinary family, I truly can't think of anyone I want to hang out with more. Can't wait to see you in April!

Laurie said...

Care did say how much fun she had with you over the holidays. You are very blessed to have such a fantastic family