Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympic Update

I just wanted to drop a quick note and say that life is good. I continue to enjoy this more regularized version of life that I am now allowed to lead.

I've even had time to consistently watch the Olympics! And I must say, I am now an official Olympics junkie. It has been so much fun to watch all the various sports and marvel at the skill and adeptness displayed by my countrymen. I've yelled with them in triumph and I have shared in their sighs of frustration (not their tears though, come on, I'm a dude) when they have fallen. How freaking awesome is this whole Olympics thing!? I love it. I love the idea of bringing all the greatest athletes in the world together and then basically just watch them mud-wrestle. That's really what it is: it's dirty (the "16 year-olds" on the Chinese gymnastics team), it's grueling (just watch wrestling, their necks are thicker than my thigh), and in the end only one is left standing (or swimming as is the case with Michael Phelps).

It's also been interesting to get better glimpse at some of the coolness of China. Yeah, I know that we are seeing it through a highly filtered, vasoline-smeared lens, but there really is a great depth of history and culture in that country that us westerners just don't get to see that much. Human rights violations aside, I would like to visit it some day.

Well, I am now going to go get some things in order before I take off for an entire week at Lake Powell. Like I said, life is good...

Resume radio silence...

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I too have become an Olympic junkie the last week and a half. Watching Michael Phelps is amazing, he is like a machine - seriously. It's probably a good think the Olympics don't last forever or I may totally neglect my family for the rest of my life.

Super Angie said...

Mark! This is Angie, as in "Steve and Angie." Love your blog! Reading it reminded me how funny you are. Shout out to the Olympics! I love them too.