Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Opera

So I recently went to see the contemporary, minimalist opera Nixon in China. My only previous experience with the opera was a mediocre, and very long production of Handel's Julius Caeser. Based on that last experience, I was a little wary. However, I was blown away by Nixon! It was so cool! The music was interesting and inventive and added a strong counterpoint to the words (such as in the end of the first act when everyone is dancing and praising the newly strengthened relations between the USA and China and yet the music persisted, in crecendo, in a very eerie minor key. So cool!). It also afforded a fascinating glimpse into the politics and issues going on during the early 70's. The minimalist approach to the music was really intersting and helped drive home the composer's message even more strongly than the words, simply stated, ever could.

So anyway, I dug it. And if any of you have the chance to see it performed, go! Just make sure to brush up on your political history first.

No comments: