
Today is Independence Day. Why do we always refer to it reverentially as "The 4th"? The date is meaningless. The Declaration of Independence could have been signed on any other day and "The 4th of July" would probably be more commonly referred to as "Barbara! What's the date today?"
So today, my brothers and sisters, I celebrate Independence Day. I celebrate not only the independence declared and eventually won in the Revolutionary War from the oppressive British monarchy, but also I celebrate the true independence that is the freedom and right to become who you choose to be; the freedom to pursue happiness and the ability to reach one's full potential through an individual's hard work and ingenuity. This is the independence I celebrate most. And it is fitting to celebrate it today as it was this nation's revolutionaries who first sought to model a government around these very principles.
This kind of independence wasn't won only for the citizens of this country, it was won for each nation that has since joined in the experiment of democracy. It has spread beyond our borders to touch almost every nation of this world! What a revolution indeed.
Okay, so I know that this sounds pretty corny, and it's supposed to. But this also represents my true feelings today. I really love this nation and I am so proud of what it represents and the values it was built upon.
As many of you know, I often get frustrated with it's leaders and general populous. But that frustration is born out of my love and respect for this country. Because of the greatness of heart that this country and it's citizens have shown over the years, we have gained a certain amount of moral authority and power of influence in this world. But, to quote Spiderman, "with great power comes great responsibility." I feel that as a nation, it is our responsibility to know and understand how that power and influence is diffused into the world. My frustration isn't born out of hatred of this country or any amount of "unpatriotism" that the current Administration would like to slap on any of it's critics, it just simply comes out of disappointment that our greatest exports seem to have become McDonalds and Britney Spears and our use of power has become akin to that of a schoolyard bully. I said to my mom earlier today, "I don't hate America, I just hate what is being done to the country I love." I still think the heart of America is inherently good, but it's time that we move on from our adolescent self-absorption and take a more positive, proactive role as mature, adult leaders in the free world.
Due to the large workload I have right now, I had to come into work today to get some things done. As I walked downtown and past the capital building, the National Guard was holding a ceremony called the "Salute to the Union." I stopped and watched as each state's flag was presented, honored, and saluted with canon fire. It revived my affection for this great country: a country based on the idea of a union of separate and distinct elements that have come together to form something greater than themselves. That's what made America great: it's ability to take, in the spirit of compromise and collaboration, the talents, abilities, perspectives, needs, and wants of several different parties to create something that works for the betterment of everyone.
As we look at today's political landscape, we don't see a union. It seems like we see something more of a war zone; two deeply divided factions battling for power and control. The word "unity" seems to be used more often to talk about intra-party loyalties rather than a larger, national approach to domestic and foreign policy. For now, the only person that seems to even be talking about national unity is Barack Obama. That's part of the reason why I've decided to support him. However, unless his rhetoric is somehow translated into actually policy and practice, I worry that this national "awkward age" will continue and the rest of the world will grow up without us.
Okay, this soapbox is now so precariously high that I fear I may break something coming down. I'll finish this by calling on the oft-repeated proclamation, but offer it instead as a plea:
"God, Bless America!"
(please!)

3 comments:
Right on, Horace! I've been having many of the same feelings myself today. Despite its flaws, we do live in a "heaven rescued land", to quote the third verse of the Star Spangled Banner. America was not and is not a creation of change and random events and people.
I wish you were here to enjoy the chocolate chip ice cream that is churning as I write.
Written like a true Pulsipher. We missed you here (although we didn't participate in the Pulsipher celebration) and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
After reading your very well-expressed thoughts I was moved to hunt down Obama's speech on patriotism and I feel to say that you are up there with our candidate in articulating the deeper concept of patriotism. When I find myself without the right words, may I quote you?
Post a Comment