All I can say is: fantastic movie.Okay, I'll say a little more. This movie rocked me. Not only was it visually interesting and excelled at the art of storytelling (except for the cheesy ending), but the subject matter just hit home. As much as it may look like it's a chick flick, it's most decidedly a dude's movie. The reason for that is that every guy has lived this movie. Every guy has fallen head over heels for a girl who isn't quite as head over heel for him. Every guy knows what it's like to meet that girl that just seems to fit the mold perfectly. The girl you can't help but drool over. The girl of your dreams. And every guy knows what it's like to be crushed by that girl.
I got completely sucked into this movie. When Tom and Summer met and started dating, I couldn't help but remember how it felt to meet my "Summer." That intense longing. The sleepless nights. The pathetic attempts to impress. And later, when he's dealing with the heartache and pain, I was right there with him, remembering the emptiness and loss I'd experienced. By the end of the movie, I truly hated Summer as if I had been the one that was wronged by her! That heartless wench!
Now, it's true, the story is told entirely from the perspective of Tom. We don't know what was going on in Summer's mind and heart that led her to act the way she did (and the movie hints at some very legitimate reasons). But that's kind of beside the point. This isn't the story of a relationship, this is the story of one side of a relationship. And that's the beauty of this movie, it perfectly shows the ups and downs of the INDIVIDUAL in the relationship. The view isn't fair and balanced, but neither are we. Our life experience is anything but fair and balanced. We each approach and interpret our experiences through a very thick filter of self interest.
Anyway, I digress. Go check out the movie. It's a goody. And for all you girls out there that may be wondering what it's like to walk in the dude's shoes, take notes.

1 comment:
I've wanted to see this ever since I first heard about it. I have yet to read a bad review. With your endorsement now I want to see it even more.
Post a Comment