Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ditka - 63, New York Giants - 7

I promised I would post pictures and stories from my trip to Chicago, so here they are. I had a great time! We were running all over the place and by the end I was pretty much exhausted and needed a good week to recover. But here's a brief run down of all that was accomplished in those whirlwind 6 days:

• I got to go to games at both Wrigley Field and the White Sox Stadium!
• I spent hours upon hours exploring Chicago's fabulous park system.
• I saw masterpieces of the impressionist and modernist eras at the Art Institute (including my all-time favorite painting: Picasso's "Old Guitarist").
• I went on a tour of famous 1920's gangster sites including the site of the infamous St. Valentine's Day massacre.
• I explored one of the last free zoos in the country.
• I saw a couple concerts at the Frank Gehry designed Pritzker's Pavilion at Millenium Park.
• I saw an amazing performance by the Blue Man Group (seriously, jaw-droppingly awesome).
• I enjoyed live jazz at the Green Mill (a former speak-easy that dates back to the height of Chicago's jazz-era, and was frequented by Al Capone).
• I ate really good Italian food and really bad chicago-style deep-dish pizza.
• I rode a Ferris Wheel built on the site of the world's first Ferris Wheel (the old original was demolished a while ago).
• I went on an architectural tour of the city given while cruising around on a boat up the Chicago River.
• And I learned all about the city's history while exploring the Chicago History Museum.

So, yeah, I had a pretty full week! Here are some pictures to illustrate:

The Chicago River at night

The city at night

The Chicago River by day

The View from the top of the Ferris Wheel

An old railroad crossing, the river is littered with these artifacts of old, industrial Chicago

Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks"

Picasso's "Old Guitarist"

A jazz concert at Pritzker Pavilion in Millenium Park

Buckingham Fountain at Grant park

Chicago truly is "A City in a Garden"

Some flowers in the gardens in Millennium Park

More flowers

The Face Fountain in Millennium Park

The Bean in Millennium Park

Wrigley Field. If you look closely, you can see the ball crossing home plate! How cool is that! The Cubs won 12-3

3 comments:

North Slope Ranch said...

Thanks for posting these pictures. I am trying to decide which ones I like most - your pics from Chicago or from Island Park. Cityscape or nature? Hmmm...

Carrie said...

Lovely. You've done way more in Chicago than I ever did when we lived just a 3 hours away! How fun! Great pics and I'm glad to see there aren't any people in them :)

Carrie said...

Oh! And I love Edward Hopper too.