Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Modern Miracles

I got an email from a friend today asking me for my opinion on why we don't seem to see the same kinds of miraculous things happening today in the modern church than we find recorded in early church history.  It's a fair question and one that I don't really have a satisfactory answer for.  Either way, I thought I would share my thoughts with all of you in the hopes that maybe someone out there will have some better insight into the matter than I.  Here is the response that I sent to my friend:

That's a good question that doesn't have a simple answer.  At least, as far as I know.  I tend to have the same kind of questions every time I delve into church history.  Why all of the miracles and visions and trumpeting angels then and not now?  Why aren't we seeing more ancient scripture coming forth?  Why no speaking in tongues?  I don't really have a solid answer to these questions but I have some thoughts.  

At first I thought that maybe it was because the modern church doesn't have the faith that the early Saints did.  While I think there might be some validity to that argument (I mean really, how many of us would walk across the country, burying our loved ones along the way based on our belief in a movement that, in modern parlance, essentially would been catagorized as a cult).  But, I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of faith or desire to believe on our parts today.  Why else would Mormon mythology (three Nephite stories, missionary legends, etc.) have such a hold upon our culture?  We want to believe those stories because we want to feel connected to the miraculous occurrences of the early saints.  We want to feel like we're still a part of that tradition.  

So, I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of faith or preparedness on the part of the modern Saints.  That hasn't fundamentally changed among us in the last 180 years.  Rather I think it has more to do with the fact that the world in which we live has changed.  Part of the beauty of the restored gospel is that it teaches us of a modern God.  A God that works with His children in real time, in the time and context in which they live.  During the time of the early Saints, visions, miracles, and speaking in tongues were all accepted as somewhat normal.  Or at least, they weren't unheard of.  In fact, many people probably would have expected such things to come from a church professing to be the one, true religion, and so that's what they got.  God was speaking to the early saints in the language of their day.

Now, flash forward to today.  We live in a world that is increasingly ruled by reason and logic.  Gone is the witchcraft and magic that held such sway in rural America during the early 1800's.  We seek for logic and truth in our philosophy and religion, not mystery.  You just have to look at how receptive the world is to religions that profess to speak in unknown tongues or perform "faith healings."  Not very.  Those that do claim such spiritual gifts are often pushed to the periphery of modern religious thought and philosophy.  That's not to say that the modern church doesn't believe that such miracles happen anymore, or that we don't speak in tongues or heal the sick ourselves, just that perhaps these kinds of miracles happen in different ways now.  In ways that are maybe more recognizable or easily accepted by the people of this time.  God still speaks, and like before, He speaks in our language.  

I think when we hear that God is unchanging, it's referring more to the eternal nature of the PRINCIPLES of His gospel, not necessarily his methods of interaction with His children.  Within the Bible we see a God that is constantly adapting to the needs and preparedness of His people.  We see different laws being given at different times.  We see animal sacrifice introduced and then later discarded.  We see baptism introduced.  God doesn't change, but we do, and therefore He has to speak to us in different ways.  You could even say in different tongues.  The language may change, but the message is always the same.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I agree. I think the animal sacrifices were done away with when the great Eternal Sacrifice was performed but other than that I think you're right on. I think there still are anecdotal accounts of these kinds of miracles in modern day but in general God does speak to us in ways we can accept and understand. Not only does this apply to the world in general but also to us personally. He will speak to each of us in a way that we personally can hear and understand.

Marcus Pulsipher said...

You're right about the reason why the change from animal sacrifice was made. I didn't mean to imply anything to the contrary. I guess the point I was trying to make was just that things change. In a society largely made up of Bedouins and small agricultural villages, giving up the best of your flocks was asking a lot. In a similar way, the current command of sacrificing our pride and vanity and offering a broken heart and a contrite spirit is probably the hardest thing to ask of a people who live in a society obsessed with status and appearance. The commands are different, but the end is the same: submission to God.

I love that idea that God not only works with a people in the level and state that they're in, but also does so on an individual level. He truly is a personal God.

North Slope Ranch said...

All good thoughts. You have made me think this morning. And at such an early hour!
One more idea that I might add is this... that miracles both large and small do still continue, but their stories are not as widespread. With the vast number of members around the world, the stories stay local (or not shared at all). Just a thought.

Pops said...

I like your thinking, especially about how God speaks to each generation in their way of speaking and thinking. One thought I would add: I think that miracles do still happen, sometimes even in the "they of olden days" manner. The rescue of Elizabeth Smart and the strength she seemed to receive in her ordeal and how well things have turned out for her might be an example. I think many people experience miracles and special witnesses from the Spirit, but in our day there seems to be a reluctance to talk about those things too openly.