So I decided a little while ago that I really need a summer project. I've had way too much down time lately and have had a hard time filling my days with things of any real value. And that's not what summer is for. Summer is for saws, lumber, and deck screws. Summer is for rubber washers, grease, and ball bearings ("It's all ball bearings these days... Hey!"). Summer is for projects.
So what projects will I work on? Well, one good thing I've been doing a lot of lately is riding my bike. Last year I bought my bike for $80 off of craig's list. It has served me well as a reintroduction to biking. However, it really isn't a very good bike. Most of the components are bent and barely functional. Plus, the padding on the seat and handlebars have pretty much worn through and is now falling off in chunks. And to boot, the whole thing weighs over 30 pounds. When you consider the considerable weight that I add on top of that, together, we aren't much of a lean machine, if you know what I mean.
Yep, time for a new bike.
But rather than just go out and buy one, I've decided to build one from scratch. I figure, it would probably be good to really get to know the ins and outs of how a bike is put together so that I can start doing my own repairs and needed modifications. And, it will give me something to do on those long, lazy summer days when work has slowed down. It's the perfect project.
So, over the last couple of days I've been keeping an eye on craig's list looking for someone selling a good road bike frame. Well, yesterday a Cannondale 3.0 Aluminum frame showed up. I went out and checked it out. Though it's a little beat up, it appears to be structurally sound, and man is it light! I talked the guy down to $50 and took it home. Now, let the projecting begin!
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You should build me one next! My bike is so small and i TOTALLY need a new one! Good Luck!
What a great summer project! I've been thinking about getting a bike this summer and even bought a bike trailer for the kids. Happy building!
Post a Comment