Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer Hike #3: Forman Trail


For the last week or so I've been in UT, busy helping my parents get ready to move to a new house.  I'll likely post about that later, once it's finished.  But I wanted to quickly post about my latest hike: Forman Trail.

After a hectic week of sorting, packing, and moving things, the family got a much appreciated break in  due to a long-ago planned family trip up to Heber City.  I took advantage of the down time up there get in my weekly hike, and even was able to convince my brother and nephew to go along with me.  Knowing I'd have a nephew in tow, I looked for a relatively easy, short hike in the area.  I found one called the Daniel's Canyon Nature Trail.  It was supposed to be this well marked walk around the mountains with little interpretive signs along the way telling you about the flora and fauna of the area.

I say "supposed to be" because we never actually the blasted trail.  Well, I'm sure, if we had, it would have been a great experience.  However, we seeing how we couldn't find the trailhead, we decided to settle for what looked like an abandoned 4x4 trail with a weathered sign titled "Forman Trail."  It wasn't very well marked and simply meandered around a hillside.  However, it did take us through some beautiful stand of Aspen and offered occasional views of the surrounding hills.


Happily, the company and conversation made up for the less-than-stellar hike. While on the hike, I learned that my nephew plans to take over the world by employing the services of several eco-terrorist groups, after which he will rule with an iron fist, making hunting and meat-eating punishable by death... yep, if you hurt an animal, he will kill you.  He also explained that activist groups such as ELF (Earth Liberation Front) are better than PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) because PETA only complains about things, while ELF actually does something about them; like blowing up logging trucks.

Is it bad that I kinda love that he thinks this way? :)

Verdict: Not Recommended unless done with a precocious 10 year old.


No comments: