So, a couple weeks ago I was in UT. I went there because we were having our yearly family trip (up to Heber City this year). However, after arriving, it quickly became apparent that the real reason I was there was to help my parents get their house packed up and ready to move. After over a year of having it on the market, my parents had finally sold their home.
Necessarily, my entire trip became swallowed up in getting 30 years worth of accumulation sorted, categorized and packed up. Consequently, all my best laid plans of having two weeks to hang out with friends, go camping, and finally climb Mt. Olympus also had to be packed up and put in storage for another day. There was so much to be done that I even ended up extending my trip by another week.
In the end, we got it all finished. And though I wasn't able to fulfill my goal of going on a hike for that last week in UT, it still felt like we collectively climbed a mountain.
It was a fairly surreal experience packing that house up. We moved there when I was only 6 months old. It's the only home I've ever really known and it's sad to think that I won't ever be able to just walk in, drop off my stuff, and lounge about reading in the "chatting area," or sit and talk to my dad in the study, or go up on the roof to wach the sunset. I think the loss would be easier to take if I had a home of my own right now. Such as it is, being a bachelor, my living situation still feels very transitional. Nothing fixed, permanent, something that's mine. My parent's new house is nice, but it's their home. It will never be mine and when I visit, I will only be a guest.
But if there's any consolation to be had in all this, it's that the couple buying the house not only really love it, but they also have three small children. I'm glad that the house will be loved and appreciated in the way that we love it. And ultimately I'm glad that there will be kids that will soon discover that perfect hide and seek place on top of the linen closet and how to contort their body just right so they can slide down the laundry shoot.
Goodbye house. You will be missed.
p.s. thanks Carrie for letting me steal your pictures. And thanks to Luke for featuring in most of them. :)



2 comments:
We had a good climb hadn't we? Wheew!
Luke is a representation of the generations that have loved that home. I can't believe what a feat that was to move. I wish I could have been there to help more with the actual move and move-in. I am SO glad you were there to help with everything. Being the bachelor and childless you really had the most and easiest opportunity to help out - we're lucky you were around. I keep thinking our next trip to UT will be more relaxing, which maybe now it will. Not sure it could get any more emotional, stressful or busy than that last one.
Post a Comment