Sunday, October 21, 2007

First Snow

My yesterday was spent in 70 degree weather up in the mountains hiking around contorted formations of sandstone. This morning, I woke up to snow.

There's something about the first snow. I don't know quite what it is, but it makes me feel like a 5th grader again. Maybe it's the remembered excitement of the possible school closure. Maybe it's the memory of countless hours spent building things in a yard that overnight had suddenly become filled with white, wet playdough.

I don't know, either way, when the third thunder clap finally pulled me out of bed I found myself looking out the window and experiencing a feeling that can only be described as "giddiupidness." I turned on Prairie Home Companion, made some Kodiak flap jacks, scrambled basil eggs and orange juice, and settled in for a Norman Rockwell-style sunday morning. I could only settle in for so long though so after a shower I grabbed my camera and headed out for a walk around my neighborhood. Twety minutes later I returned to my apartment with a red nose, a snow-encrusted beard, and several pictures documenting my first snow storm in Denver. Enjoy!



My apartment building



5 comments:

Carrie said...

I Love It! You really are so great with a camera. I have so many memories of waking up, looking out the window & seeing snow on the apricot tree. There really is something so magical about that first snowfall. This whole blog thing makes me miss you.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures! What a cool neighborhood. Sam and I read your comments and "chuck"led. Miss you.

Emily Christiansen said...

Only you would come up with a word like giddiupidness. I love it! The first snow really is magical. I look forward to it every year.

Unknown said...

Horace: Ah, the energy of youth. Somehow I don't see myself jumping out of bed at the onset of a snowstorm, but your description took me back quite a few decades. It was great to see the snow shots, as well as the mountain ones from Saturday. As for snow, we have had nothing more than a very light dusting that barely stayed on the ground a half-hour early Sunday.

Thanks for starting the blog. I'm a bit hesitant about having my hasty words out there for all to see, but it's a great way to keep up with this new phase of your life. Keep it up. -- Pops (in case you know lots of Jerrys I could be confused with)

Carrie said...

You've been tagged!
A. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning. B. Each player lists 6 facts/habits about themselves. C. At the end of the post, the player then tags 6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.