Sunday, October 14, 2007

Remembering Journals

It is a rainy Sunday. A quiet, solemn end to a great week. I was assigned to give a talk today in church about one of the addresses given at General Conference. I decided to focus my thoughts around Pres. Eyring's talk in the Sunday Morning Session. I really appreciated his words on recognizing and remembering God's actions in your life. He opened up a whole new meaning to the concept of remembering God. I think I've always seen that as having a "what would Jesus do?" type meaning or a "watch what you do, God is watching" kind of thing. But I loved the idea of not necessarily remembering God the person but rather remembering your own personal interactions with Him. At least I find it much more helpful to think of things God has done for me than to try to hold on to an image in my mind of a white haired and bearded old man.

So I've decided to use the example of my experiences immediately leading up to and during my time in Slovenia. I don't know if I showed or told anyone about it, but I kept a very detailed, and honest journal during that time, which has come to be kind of a second, personal set of scripture for me. It's a record of God's dealings with....me. The keeping of that journal not only recorded the events of my life during that time, but helped to facilitate the very experiences I was having. It became the venue in which memories of experiences were reinforced and connections between them drawn. Keeping a journal is not a passive activity.

I am so grateful for that journal and I am grateful for Elder Eyring for clarifying it's significance.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I used to try to keep a rosie journal (probably because I was always thinking someday my posterity would be reading it), but started doing a raw/honest one in Ft Wayne. I totally agree, when you're completely honest about your life you better see the hand that God has played. Such great comments, I wish I could have been there to hear your talk!