Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Welcome Wagon

It's been about 4 years since Sufjan Stevens put out an album of truly new songs and about three years since he's done any kind of touring, and the natives are getting restless. Yesterday I got the itch for some new Sufjan and I scoured the internet for b-sides and compilation tracks that I didn't already have. Sadly, the pickins were pretty slim. He just hasn't done much in the last few years.

However, one thing that he has done is produce the debut album of The Welcome Wagon, a husband and wife duo that sing simple and beautiful gospel songs. Sufjan's unique sound is infused throughout the album. In fact, if you take away the singer's voices and replace them with Sufjan's, the album would be indistinguishable from some of his other offerings.

Among the songs on this album is this little gem called "Up on a Mountain."

Up On a Mountain - Welcome Wagon

For now, this will have to satiate my thirst. It might just be good enough to do so. I hope you enjoy it too.

1 comment:

North Slope Ranch said...

How do you manage to find all this cool music? I loved it! Keep them coming...