Monday, March 22, 2010

13.1

I done did it.  I ran the half marathon in Moab this weekend, and all I can say is: man what a high.  It was seriously one of the greatest/hardest things I've ever done, and oh so worth it.

I signed up for the race several months ago with all the gusto and intentions of creating, and sticking to, a tough training program.  However, two trips to New York, a trip to Salt Lake, a month long cold, and a strained lower back later, my training schedule wasn't going exactly the way I had expected.  I'd been able to run sporadically and had only had a couple of scattered weeks in which I was able to make any kind of consistent, measured progress.  In the end, on race day, the furthest I'd managed to run was 7 miles, just barely over half the 13.1 mile distance.

I planned on dropping out of the race entirely, or at least downgrading to the 5-mile race held at the same time.  But, in the end, I decided that I had committed to this goal, so ready or not, here I come.  And there I went.  I did it!  I ran the entire distance, and did it in 2:30:22 (just ahead of a 61 year old woman from Hooper, UT!).  But what was amazing about it is that I felt good the whole time I did it.  In the past I've had problems with my knees or with severe shin splints, but amazingly enough, nothing seemed to afflict me throughout the whole race.  In fact miles 6 through 11 were probably among the happiest moments of my life.  There I was, running pain free in one of the most beautiful landscapes on earth, and I was on the verge of accomplishing something that just a year ago, I deemed impossible and, frankly, insane.  I couldn't help but crack a smile.  It also didn't hurt that during that stretch I easily passed most of the chumps that blew past me at the beginning. :)

So, I know I'm tooting my own horn here a little, and I apologize for that, but I'm pretty dang proud of this one.  And frankly, the way thing have been going lately, I kinda needed a win.

Here are some pictures from the celebratory trip to Arches National Park we took after the race.

2 comments:

Jennifer Harris said...

That's awesome Mark, congratulations! I've heard that there's nothing quite like the success and achievement of running a marathon. I bet running it in Moab would be extra beautiful, too.

So, the next time you're in Salt Lake, you absolutely have to come see Scarlett. She is the most precious thing I've ever seen in my life. Thanks for your comment about her on our blog.

Carrie said...

Way to go! That is totally awesome! I am seriously impressed and I love that you just did it anyway. So cool!