It's been quite a change and has taken some getting used to. New neighbors, new spaces, new shops, a yard, roommates; it's all new. I have to say, the roommates thing has probably been the biggest adjustment I've had to make. When I graduated from college I vowed I wouldn't have another roommate until we were sleeping in the same bed. So, now I have to change that perspective (or one of my roommates will REALLY have to change his).
However, while it's been a little weird, and it sometimes feels like I'm back in college, it has also been good. The emotional and psychological wear of involuntary unemployment has been hard on me lately. But it seems a little less severe since living here. I can't shut myself off from others as easily as I could when living alone.
Another great thing about the new situation is just how much more space there is to spread out. Since I'm still working from home, I have the entire house to myself most of the day. Also, my office is situated two floors above my room, so even though I'm working from home, it actually feels like there's some real separation from my living and work spaces (as opposed to my old place where my desk was literally a four foot walk from my bed).
Probably the biggest bonus is that I have private outdoor space again! I have a great big front porch and a decent sized yard in the back. It isn't much to look at right now, but I plan to spend some quality time fixing it up this spring and summer. I may even try a vegetable garden! And I can't tell you how nice it is to sit out on the front porch in the morning and read or people watch or just think. I may be a big city person, but I'm finding that I also love having some space to stretch out, both physically and mentally.
Okay, so let's talk about the house. This thing is beautiful. It's an american craftsman style bungalow built in 1907 and it adheres nicely to it's Arts & Crafts roots. I'll play the realtor and take you all on a virtual tour starting with the view from the street:
We'll start at the front of the house where one can see the beautiful symmetry of that great bungalow style...
Upon climbing the steps you see some inviting furniture that beckons you to sit for a spell and discuss the finer things in life...
Once invited inside you are greeted by warm dark wood trim and hardwood floors...
A brick fire place says to you, "Come friend, you are home..."
The wood beams in the ceiling remind one that, like the people who dwell within, this house was made with class and refinement that will last through the ages...
A reminder of simpler times...
At the inexplicable insistence of some of the residents, the library also serves as a dining room...
Off the living room we find the main dining room...
With the table and chairs removed, we can see the built in china cabinet which draws one in and says, "Grey Poupon? Most certainly not..."
An art shelf running the length of the dining room allows for ample display of the resident's heightened aesthetic sensibility...
Down the hallway we find the dark wood continues in the form of a built in linen closet...
Appreciably, the kitchen and the bathrooms are the only areas of the house that have endured a facelift...
Ample cabinet and counter space ensure that many a dinner party may be prepared here...
"What's that? Oh yes, our plates aren't just for eating..."
Upstairs we find a wonderful office space with a view looking out over the backyard and the surrounding rooftops...
In the basement we find what is affectionately called "The Man Cave"...
The whole aesthetic of the house breaks down in the downstairs bedroom which is basically just a converted furnace room...
Luckily, this resident's eclectic style of decoration is suited for just such a place...
Despite the awkward shape of the room, there is ample shelf space as well as a private bathroom and large walk-in closet...
Leaving the basement up the back stairs, we find ourselves in the backyard which, come spring, will be filled with apple blossoms and blooming bulbs...











5 comments:
Wow! What an amazing place... love all the wood work and especially the coffered ceilings. That kitchen is great, are you sure this is a bachelor pad? And the exposed brick in the man cave. Wow. love it all.
And thank you for the inviting tour of the place. Are you sure you don't want to check out the real estate business? I was ready to make an offer by the time the tour was done. Congratulations on your new digs.
Mark, you are so funny. For some reason Jen now wants to live in a bungalow. Thanks for inviting us in your new place that says "Come friend you're home." Maybe when we go to Houston we'll have to fly you out and you can help us pick a gem and teach us how to fully appreciate its style. Congrats and I'm glad you are adjusting rather than your roommate.
Love the built-ins by the fireplace and the real dining room. Why isn't there a dining room table in there? It looks awesome, and I'm glad you have some companionship around you. Now I'll have to trek to Denver once again to see your digs. I feel like it's a B&B, awesome.
Thanks for the home tour. It's way classier than I had imagined. I love the woodwork and especially the contemplation-inducing front porch. Does the house always look as "inspection-ready" as your photos, or was it especially cleaned and straightened up for the photographer?
Your enticement worked. I visited the blog. And look! I am even leaving a comment.
Remarkable place. I now have a bad case of bungalow envy. Great details. They just don't make houses like they used to. Hard to imagine anyone one hundred years from now finding such pleasure, comfort, and serenity in the subtle lines and fine craftsmanship of today's McMansions.
Post a Comment