Hi, I’d like to introduce you to 30-Year-Old Mark. How is 30-Year-Old Mark any different from 29-Year-Old Mark, or maybe 26-Year-Old Mark? Well, for one thing, when 30-Year-Old Mark is asked how old he is, his answer doesn’t, in any way, involve the number 2 (unless he’s trying to trick you, in which case, it could involve a lot of different numbers). 30-Year-Old Mark is also thinner up top and thicker around the middle than previous versions of Mark, though we’re hoping the latter situation is only temporary. He is a much better skier than the other Marks and where the other Marks would have been lost, 30-Year-Old Mark moves with ease through a spreadsheet or some project management software. 30-Year-Old Mark is also a killer test taker. He passed the first 3 Landscape Architecture Registration Exams with flying colors. But then, other Marks were pretty good test takers too. So that’s not really new.
So what might you not already know about 30-Year-Old Mark? Well, that’s a good question. I’ve only known him for a couple days so I’m not sure what to tell you. Though, based on observations of later 29-Year-Old Mark I think I can safely say that 30-Year-Old Mark will be more open to listening to quality hip hop artists than other Marks were. He will probably also be more and more bothered and tired of vulgarity, crassness, and cruelty. And, for a while, he will probably ride a wave of eating bagels and sun-dried tomato cream cheese in the morning before getting sick of it and jumping onto another wave. Oh, and the words “Máte Latte” will likely figure heavily into his life.
Those are some things that are likely to be true about 30-Year-Old Mark. But maybe more importantly, we should ask what it is that we would like to be true about 30-Year-Old Mark. Well, for starters, we’d like to be able to say that 30-Year-Old Mark is bewildered at why so many cute, single, Mormon girls suddenly decided to move to the Roaring Fork Valley. Or maybe that 30-Year-Old Mark was happy when his client was so pleased with his work that they offered to pay for his grad school tuition and set up a trust fund in his name. That would be nice, though maybe a little unrealistic. A more serious look at that question is probably best left for another time and another place.
Well, whatever kind of person 30-Year-Old Mark turns out to be, we can all be happy that his story is yet unwritten and is still full of possibilities.


6 comments:
Wes and I think that all of the Marks are great! And I personally would like to give you a cup of cranberry juice for your birthday...so, drink up! I'll be following your landmark birthday in July. Lately, I've been trying to think if there's anything I really want to do in my 20's before they're gone...forever. *sniff, sniff*
Whoever he is, I can't wait to meet 30 year old Mark this weekend!
Maybe one of my all-time favorite posts. I'm thinking 30-year-old Mark sounds pretty darn cool, hopefully I'll get to meet him soon!
I need to be checking your blog a bit more frequently than I have been. This entry was was especially good, most notably in providing an overview of all of the Marks. We look forward to seeing the 30-year-old Mark this weekend. I hope you have some way of archiving what you've put on your blog over the years. You might have the makings of a book in all of this.
Maybe 30-year-old Mark will start submitting his photography to National Geographic?
The 30's are simply awesome. (Of course, you have not yet beheld my 36 year old awesomeness. But take my word for it, it's incredible.) And I feel sure that this decade is going to bring lots of great things into your life.
Post a Comment