Thursday, August 4, 2011

Saz: A Tribute


This is Saz, or rather was Saz.  Until a few weeks ago, this trusty steed was my faithful companion.  It had been with me for over 6 years.  And in that time, it took me everywhere: on some of the gnarliest roads and over some of the highest mountain passes, it joined me in two moves, survived some of the harshest of winters and took it like a champ when it was side-swiped by a drunk driver.  It has been without a doubt the most stable, meaningful, and longest lasting relationship I have ever had. And it never complained, it never whined, not even that one time when I put in a quart of oil, and then forgot to put the oil cap back on before driving it over 800 miles down to Mesa Verde and up and over mountain passes surpassing 12,000 ft.  That's the trip where Saz became Saz (short for Anasazi).  He earned his stripes and his name, which means "The Ancient One" in Hopi.  That car endured all kinds of hardships, and it kept on going, delivering me and my buddy back to Salt Lake safely.  And it continued to do so for me for another 4 years.  That is until a few weeks ago when it limped into the Nate Wade Subaru dealership with over 292,000 miles.  I test drove a couple used Outbacks until I found the one I wanted, I signed my life away, and when I walked out to transfer my things over to the new car, I saw that Saz's driver side tire had gone completely flat.  It did all it could to keep it together while I still needed it, and as soon as I was ready to move on, it basically keeled over.

What a great car.  It wasn't much to look at, but man I loved that thing, and I'm sad that it is gone.  It's probably in some junk yard now, being stripped down for parts.  But it was its time, and like the great civilization from whence it's name comes, it is now at rest, secure in its legendary status among the world's greatest cars.

Goodbye my friend.
















2 comments:

Carrie said...

Goodbye Saz! Although I'm sorry she won't be joining you, I am excited to meet your new companion. See you in a few weeks!

North Slope Ranch said...

I think that Saz was a HE. Is that right Mark? I, too, will miss the accord. Great memories!