Wednesday, August 17, 2011
...and Robin?
It was a warm day in Carbondale today, so when I got home from work, the house felt like something akin to a brick oven. As dusk was starting to settle in, I opened my door and all the windows, and sat out on my tiny deck to do some work while I let the house air out. Once it was too dark to read the paper I was working from, I headed inside the now darkened apartment. As I headed toward the light switch I saw the silhouette of what seemed like a giant winged creature flying towards me out of the darkness...
Now, I wouldn't say that I screamed like a little girl, but I definitely let out an emphatic "whoa" and scurried out onto the deck as fast as I could, hunched over like a New York City begger.
I don't know why a bat thought my apartment would be a good place to hunker down for the night. Maybe it found the warmth welcoming against the oncoming night. Maybe it thought I wanted a new pet or rabies. Or maybe it just was impressed with my book collection. Either way, it wasn't welcome. Neither by me or my fish. They must have sensed its presence because for a good 20 minutes afterward they all stayed huddled together at the bottom of the bowl. Poor little guys. Good thing their tiny brains have already forgotten about it. If only I were so lucky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Ugh. Bats are one of those animals that just freak me out if they try to be in my space. We had one roost in our screened-in porch for a day. Watching Lincoln swat at it with a broom to get it to leave that night was pretty entertaining though.
I think it just wanted to watch Ocean's 11 with you.... You should've been more hospitable! C'mon Mark! :)
The only time I ever saw a bat, I was in Disney world's Animal Kingdom. It was in a cage.
I like it that way.
Post a Comment