"It's always darkest before the dawn" – can anyone say "cliche"?
Though the phrase is well-used and thoroughly worn-thin, it really rings true for me over the last several weeks. As I alluded to in my previous post, I went through a fairly rough patch a couple weeks ago. Failure seemed to be the game of my life, and man, I was playing at the professional level.
Well, what a difference a few days can make. Opportunities have come, seem to have run out of room on the door and are now persistently rapping at the window. Suddenly, and unexpectedly, my professional life has jump started. Within a few days I was contacted, or made contact, with several people and firms looking for landscape architecture help. I've developed a great relationship with one firm and for the last week have been working with them to help design a ski resort outside of Beijing. I've also started up discussions with another firm about some potential projects we could team up on. I've had some positive interactions with some of the bigger firms in the area too, and it looks like I'll be fairly well-positioned for some work with them as things start to turn around.
My professional network just seems to be growing and growing. And I can't stress how amazing that is. I am a horrible networker. I'm not a schmoozer at all and I often find myself feeling very uncomfortable and awkward when found in a situation where I know I'm expected to brown-nose someone or gain their approval. In fact, I'm pretty reactionary to it, and will often deliberately ignore the person whose approval I'm supposed to be seeking. Suffice it to say, that particular character trait has not served me well in the business world.
However, I like to think that my resistance to schmoozery is a good thing. I want to be genuine with people and want them to be so with me. I'm happy to work with and learn from all people and personalities, but I don't want to feign friendship when it isn't there. So, this isn't necessarily something that I want to change about myself. And frankly, it's something I've been stressing about a lot lately. How can I expect to get a job, or even contract work, in this economy without making those contacts? And how can I make these contacts without becoming something I'm not? As my situation became more and more dire I was quietly readying myself to put on a facade of charisma and charm, complete with puckered lips ready to kiss any and all posteriors presented to me.
Well, luckily, no puckering was necessary as some of my former co-workers recommended me, specifically citing my stubborn sincerity, to a couple firms in need of help on some projects. Consequently, I've landed work in an office with people that not only do I get along with really well, but who also appreciate me for who I am and jive well with my style and approach to work. They're my kind of people: not a lot of ego to stroke, just a desire to do good work and to enjoy doing it.
I can't tell you all how grateful I feel for all this. I'm grateful for the reassurance that truly things always do get better. I'm grateful to know that success doesn't require the compromising of one's values, just a willingness to act. I'm grateful to know that there are "right fits" for everyone, no matter how strange or "special" they may be. I'm grateful to know that God loves me and will always provide opportunities so long as I am willing to take them.
ob la di ob la da...
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
woo hoo! this is great! congrats on job landing sans puckering to posteriors! maybe i'll send you a congratulatory kitten in the mail, or under the hood of your car.
Wahooooooooo!!!! The Alaska branch of your fan club is rejoicing!
Wahooooooooo!!!! The Alaska branch of your fan club is rejoicing!
Mark, you are sooooooooooooo "special". I'm so glad things are moving and working out for ya. You certainly deserve it! Hope "Wicked" was good and can't wait to see you next month!
Post a Comment