- I'm bored.
- A little extra money never hurt anyone.
- I'm innately curious about people and this is a good excuse to legally pry into their lives.
- I was bound to run into some characters and have some interesting experiences.
Well, I've been at it for about a month now and I'm sad to say that it's not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be. Sure, the snooping into people's lives is good, but I haven't met nearly as many nuts and jerks as I expected. In fact most people have been really nice and accommodating. Sometimes they even invite me into their house and offer me something to eat or drink.
I've had a couple people refuse to give me information or shut the door in my face. But after being a missionary for two years, that's really nothing new. Come on! Where are all the conspiracy theorists listening to Glenn Beck, or the anti-government militia men, or at the very least the bonafied nut jobs a la Betty White on SNL?
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to say that yesterday I finally found one. I was given the task of tracking down 28 people in a large apartment building. The property manager was not being cooperative and refused to give me any information about the tenants. However, about one particular tenant she said, "Oh yeah, that guy won't give you any information. He's a political talk radio host and based on his views I don't think he would like someone from the government coming by." Well, we have to try to talk to everyone so I went up to his floor and knocked on the door. I hear him moving around and then as he gets to the door he says, "Who is it?" The peep hole then darkened and I heard the distinct sound of a gun hammer being cocked. I waited for a few tense moments and then knocked again. He backed away from the door and retreated back into his apartment. As is customary, I left a note telling him I dropped by and went on my way.
Maybe this job isn't so dull and boring after all...


2 comments:
That is awesome. I had a guy come by our house the other day because I forgot to send ours in. He was super nice and it took forever to fill it out with all the kids. I had not idea that they still sent people around to houses if you didn't mail yours - makes me feel like I live in 1867 or something.
Um, holy crap! And that's the Mark I know.
Post a Comment