You may remember that a little while back I featured the Horse Feathers and Dawn Landes in two different posts. Well, the music gods conspired and decided tocombine the two for a tour which happened to stop in Denver last friday night at the Hi-Dive. And man, was it a good concert.
Then the Horse Feathers played. And all I can say is: wow. There were only four of them on stage (guitarist, fiddler, cellist, and banjo/mandolin/keyboard/percussionist), but the music had the depth and breadth of a full symphony orchestra. What struck me the most was how moving the music was. And by moving I don't necessarily mean that it was emotionally stirring (though it was at times), but that there was a lot of movement within the music. The undulation of the strings conjured images of rolling hills. The pounding drums were thunder claps. The music was both lively and calming. The most descriptive moment of the concert came at one point when someone in the crowd yelled, "You rock!" to which the lead singer replied, "gently." :)



2 comments:
OK I'm ready to recommend the book "On The Road To Heaven" which references "On The Road" throughout the whole book, I think you'd like it. Glad you liked the concert, sounds like Mark's kinda' show.
i've been listening to a pandora station of dawn and HF and being sad i missed it. i discovered dawn when she opened for hem in brooklyn- she totally stole the show.
Post a Comment