Thursday, September 9, 2010

Summer Hike #12: Mt. Sherman


For this last week's hike I thought I would do another 14er.  This time I headed to mining country.  Specifically, to the mountains surrounding Fairplay.  I went with a couple friends, camping out the night before and making the ascent the next morning.


I found this 14er much easier to climb.  I'm not sure why though.  It was just as steep, just as rocky, and it was actually more dangerous than my climb up Grays and Torreys.  What made it so dangerous was the wind.  I have never experienced wind like I did on that hike.  There was one point where I had to lean into the wind, dig my feet in against the side of the mountain and walk sideways along the trail.  Not to mention, that the wind was bitterly cold.



But all that aside, it was a great hike.  The total distance was a little over 5.5 miles and all the while you get to walk past old mining buildings and equipment.  The sense of history was palpable as you couldn't help but ask questions about the people that carved a living out of those hills.  It was really cool.

Verdict: Recommended.






3 comments:

Carrie said...

I have to say this sounds like the coolest hike so far. I love seeing ruins, no matter how old, and wondering about the people who once built and used them.

Sarah said...

old houses? maybe my mom should go and fix them up! ha ha

zlb said...

so many great hikes! i'm gearing up for the big mt nebo climb this weekend . . . thanks for the birthday call! sorry i've not called back, things have been a little crazy. i promise i will soon!