Monday, September 20, 2010
Like the Salmon of Capistrano...
Well, it's official. I am moving to Aspen.
I feel like I should say something profound and meaningful when announcing such a big change in my life: but nothing is coming. But what I can say is that I just feel good about this move. One would expect to feel some fear or trepidation. But I don't. I just feel at peace. However, that being said, I do feel a great deal of sadness about leaving Denver. This city has been my home for three years now and I've really come to love it. I love the culture and feel of the city, I love my ward, and most especially I've come to really love some of the people that have come into my life here. I will miss having them around. Maybe I'll just tie them up, throw them in the trunk and take them with me.
This sadness aside, I'm really looking forward to this opportunity for new beginnings. The last two years have been emotionally draining; fighting the anxiety and depression that comes with prolonged unemployment, and just feeling like no matter what I do, I can't get my life unstuck. Yeah, I'm ready for a fresh start. I'm ready for new scenery, and what better scenery could I ask for than the spectacular mountains of Aspen, CO?
There will undoubtedly be challenges to living in such a remote area, away from family and friends. But after surviving the misery of being anxiously unengaged in a good work and the accompanying emotional isolation that comes with it, a little physical isolation will be weak sauce. Besides, Aspen is only 3.5 hours from my friends in Denver and 6 hours from my family in UT, and I can't imagine it will be that hard to lure people there. I think my nephew is probably already planning a trip.
Well, if any of you feel like taking a ski holiday, you now have a place to stay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yahoo! We are so excited for you Mark. I can't stop thinking about you. Happiness runs...
Congratulations! I am very excited for you! Maybe one day we can bring little Scarlett for some skiing and MJWS time. :)
Yay! I am so excited for you! You are going to love it there, I'm sure. So cool!
GOOD LUCK!!
With a little luck you'll have a neice and her family come too!
Post a Comment