Saturday, November 14, 2009

Meet Frank...

Well, here he is! My new baby, Frank, has finally arrived. I love him dearly and am excited to watch as he grows up to become a wonderful instrument that will make beautiful music with his stringed counterpart, Lucy (my guitar).

Here is his story:

Frank is over 100 years old and was manufactured by the Steinway & Sons Co. Most of his life was spent in Louisiana with the Hazen Family. Over the decades countless children and adults have tickled his ivories (which I think are made of actual ivory!) and Frank was happy. However, sadly, after so many ticklings Frank developed some problems as most old people do. Some parts became broken and others started emitting strange noises (as most old people do). So Frank fell into disuse. But that's not the end of Frank's story.

Oh no, because one day, one Jeff Hazen, a wonderful man with a good heart and kind soul who had recently moved out to Colorado, decided to lug old Frank out to the arid West. Jeff knew that Frank still had life in him and he intended to help Frank become the Piano that he once was. Jeff proudly displayed Frank in the place of most prominence in his living room. And Frank was happy.
Sadly, a great tragedy befell Jeff shortly after he brought Frank home with him: Jeff was diagnosed with brain cancer. Jeff's attention was necessarily turned towards tests, operations, and a gradual but persistent loss of mobility. Frank sadly watched all this, realizing that not only was he losing his good friend, but that he was also losing his chance to be restored. As Jeff's condition worsened, he realized the same thing and sadly resigned himself to the fact that Frank was most likely due for the dump.

That was until one day when some of Jeff's friends brought over their friend Mark. Frank had never seen Mark before because he and Jeff weren't close friends and Mark had not yet been over to the house. But when Frank caught Mark's eye, he could see there was an instant connection. Mark commented to Jeff on just how much he loved Frank. Jeff realized that this might be Frank's second chance at life. He quickly asked Mark if he would like to take Frank and and restore him. Mark, stunned by the gracious offer, accepted
.

And that's the story of how Frank came to me. The situation brings with it such a mixture of emotions: I feel so happy, and lucky to get such a beautiful piano. But I also feel so sad about how it has come to me. Jeff really is such a great guy and if there is anyone in this world that doesn't deserve these trials, it's him. He has such a great attitude and outlook on life and is so kind and generous. It tears me up that this is happening to him. As I indicated, I've never been all that close with him; he is "a friend of a friend" and our friendship has never gone beyond that state of being. But even still, I want to honor him for the good person he is and for what he has meant to those that I care about. I feel like taking this piano and restoring it will in some way fulfill that desire. We have all watched Jeff gradually lose the use of much of his body, helpless to do anything about it. If I can't help restore Jeff, at least I can help restore use to something he loved.

Thanks Jeff, from both me and Frank.

4 comments:

zlb said...

this story warms the cockles of my heart, most assuredly.

Sarah said...

You should have named him Ricky, then they could be like I love Lucy!!

So you didnt crash through any apartments? (just kidding, mostly)
:D

Have fun with your new piano! (do you even play?)

North Slope Ranch said...

A Steinway? Are you serious? Do you realize how cool that is? Frank is a real beauty.

Carrie said...

That's awesome. How fun to have an old piano with history! Hopefully I can one day meet Frank.