I know the last post was somewhat political in nature, and I apologize for that. I've tried to avoid talking politics in this blog because it can be such a controversial topic and I know that opinions tend to vary widely between individuals. That being said, I will have to ask your indulgence one more time because I want to talk about President Obama's selection for the Nobel Peace Prize. A friend wrote to me this morning asking my thoughts on the subject. I thought I would share my response with all of you. If anything, just to offer an opinion that maybe you haven't heard. Here was my response:So, regarding the Obama Nobel Prize: I thought it was fairly premature and I was sad when I first heard that he was the winner. Not because I thought he was an unreasonable candidate, but because I knew that it would only serve as further fodder for the über-Right, and would devalue the prize in the eyes of many.
However, that being said, I can understand why it was given to him; especially after having read an interview given by one of the selecting committee members. Really, I think the reason it took so many of us off guard and is difficult for us to understand is because we have a very limited scope of the effects of his presidency outside of the United States. Back here at home we hear so much noise coming from the Tea-Party folks and the conservative Right focusing on "death-panels," birth certificates, and supposed Socialism that it's hard to see past it all and view the larger, global perspective that the rest of the world sees. In their eyes, they see a humble administration that doesn't over-esteem their power and influence, but also doesn't disregard their responsibility to making the world a better, more peaceful place. In the space of a few short months they've seen a world that was gearing up for a third world war quickly shift into one where its leaders actually sit down and work out problems. The Obama Administration succeeded in getting prisoners released in North Korea, has gotten Iran talking about its nuclear programs, has reopened relations with Russia and is working to continue to reduce nuclear weapon stockpiles in both countries, and working on getting the Israelis and Palestinians talking again. Quite literally, Obama has helped to reverse the course that President Bush put the world on.
So yes, Obama doesn't have a lot of concrete accomplishments yet, and the prize was given to him probably every bit as much for not being Bush as it it for anything else. But the reality is that his approach, attitude, and yes his rhetoric has accomplished one big thing, it's inspired people to work together to achieve peace, and that's what the Nobel Peace Prize is all about.
So, those are my reasons for defending the prize, and also the reasons given by the committee. It's just too bad that many of the people here are so blinded by the partisan bickering that they can't see the bigger picture and understand that, while things aren't perfect in the world, they're heading in a much better direction. Whether you like Obama and his policies or not, you have to admit that a world that is talking through their problems is better than a world arming itself for war. Obama isn't perfect, and he still has a lot to do, but the Nobel committee thought it worth recognizing the good he has already done. So do I.

No comments:
Post a Comment