Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer Hike #7: Arapahoe Lakes

For last week's hike I went to explore the mountains around Nederland, CO.  However, this time I didn't have to do it alone.  I hooked up with a bunch of friends to not only go hiking, but also spend the night camping.  We ate delicious tin foil dinners, enjoyed some guitar music, and built a pretty amazing bonfire.

The hike itself was beautiful  The first mile or so is pretty easy taking you to a trail junction.  However, once you turn right onto the trail to the lakes, it gets steep fast.  Well, it isn't actually all that steep, but it is just an incessant incline that after another mile or so, starts to wear you out.  Luckily the trail was scattered by a variety of beautiful wildflowers (including the most spectacular Columbine I've ever seen) and several colorful mushrooms.  And all the while you're walking through a beautiful open forest of fir, pine and aspen. After ascending the mountain you are rewarded with the first of what I imagine are several glacial lakes (we had lost a couple members of our party so we didn't go any further than the first lake).  The total milage up to the first lake and back was 7 miles.

Verdict: Recommended








1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love those mushrooms, I want to make them into chairs.