This week I had a job interview in Aspen. So, I figured as long as I was going to be up there, I might as well get some camping and hiking in. My interview was on Tuesday and they got me a hotel for Monday night, so I decided to go up early Sunday morning to see what the local church was like and then camp out that night. And man, am I glad that did. That extra day up there gave me the chance to really get a feel for the area and the town. I was also able to go on two decent hikes: Crater Lake and Cathedral Lake. Both were spectacular.
CRATER LAKE
Crater Lake lies at the foot of a group of mountain peaks known as the Maroon Bells. The Bells are considered to be the most photographed peaks in all of North America as one can easily drive to see them reflect perfectly in Maroon Lake. It gets so crowded that they actually close down the road to it from 9 am to 7 pm every day, forcing people to take a shuttle to get to the lake. It really is an amazing view though, but even then, the Bells hold much of their beauty back for those willing to put in the effort to hike the 4 miles round trip to Crater Lake at their base.
The hike itself is a fairly easy one, and I went early enough (6:30 am) that I had the trail mostly to myself. You start by climbing up a wide canyon filled with aspen. There are some limited switchbacks until you get over the rise and into the glacial moraine: undulating mounds of jagged, moss-covered boulders. Getting through the moraine you start to descend into the glacial valley at the base of the Bells where Crater Lake rests.
Throughout the hike you get spectacular views of the Bells and the surrounding range. You also get a couple glimpses back at Maroon Lake.
Verdict: Highly Recommended
CATHEDRAL LAKE
The Cathedral Lake trail is probably one of the most challenging, but rewarding hikes I've ever done. It's only about 6 miles round trip, but in that time you gain over 2,000 feet in elevation. It starts about 12 miles up Castle Creek Road in a dense aspen wood. You start with a moderate incline for a while, but then you start heading up a deep and steep ravine. It gets steep and stays steep for quite a while. However, once you get to the top of the ravine and into the glacial bowl you are greeted with one of the most spectacular views I've ever seen.
You'd expect to be finished at this point, but you still have to traverse a vast boulder field, ascend an insanely steep hillside, and meander through a series of mahogany covered hills and berms. However, finally, drenched in sweat and out of breath, you eventually make it to Cathedral Lake and all I can say is "wow." The lake is ringed by a series of soaring cliffs that truly have the appearance of the vaulted ceilings of Europe's great cathedrals. Certainly the feeling of reverence and awe are present.
Verdict: Highly Recommended
Here are some more photos from my hikes and from the rest of the trip to Aspen:






4 comments:
Amazing photographs Mark. The scenery alone is worth a move to Aspen. Thanks for sharing. I have really enjoyed reading about (and seeing) your hikes.
Why aren't you a photographer??
So I'm wondering... what's so great about five finger shoes? you and Pete love them.
Wow. Can you be my personal photographer? Beautiful pictures. You should do a series of hikes in Western Washington.
Post a Comment